If you are facing tax crimes in NY, your defense to these charges is incredibly important. A good defense could be the difference between your freedom and a lengthy jail sentence. Many people charged with an NY tax crime also face substantial criminal and administrative fines. Given these repercussions, all charges of tax fraud require, even those charges seemingly without merit, New York City Tax Crimes Lawyer for tax crimes.
The NY defense counsel for tax crimes at Koch Law handles criminal defense in New York City and Long Island. Our team of top lawyers provides a personalized and in-depth defense, no matter the severity of criminal charges against you. It is this individual and client-oriented legal services for NY tax crimes that lead to a great outcome for so many of our clients.
Understanding Tax Crimes in NY
Just as acts of cyberterrorism, identity theft, and wire fraud all rely on specific legal terms, so does NY tax crimes. In NY, it is illegal and a crime to commit any tax fraud act. Unpacking and understanding what is considered a tax fraud act is an important part of any New York City Tax Crimes Lawyer for tax crimes. What do actions fall under the term tax fraud act?
- Failure to file an NY tax return by April 15 each year;
- Failure to pay taxes to the local, state, or federal government;
- Failure to report your total or accurate income on a return;
- Filing a tax return with other misleading or false material information;
- Failure to remit taxes on the state or federal government’s behalf;
- Evading taxes; or
- Selling taxable goods, such as cigarettes and alcohol, without the applicable and accurate tax.
If you are accused or investigated for any of these NY tax crimes or other tax fraud in the state, you need to contact NY defense counsel. Local NY lawyers, such as the team at Koch Law, provide valuable insight into the strategy and potential outcome of an investigation and can assess the risk of criminal charges against you.
NY Law on Tax Crimes
Tax fraud is taken seriously by the State of New York. Within the New York Penal Law there are specific statutes that criminalize tax crimes, including criminal tax fraud. The specific charges for criminal tax fraud and the possible punishment, if convicted, are directly related to the total amount of fraud committed against the NY government.
- Tax fraud in the fifth degree is the least serious tax fraud statute in NY, and also the simplest to describe and understand. Under the statute, an individual is guilty of tax fraud in the fifth degree, a misdemeanor, when he or she commits a tax fraud act. A tax fraud act is any of those criminal actions described above.
- Tax fraud in the fourth degree is a class E felony that can be punished by a maximum four years in prison. Tax fraud is the fourth degree is committing any tax fraud act with the intent to evade taxes or defraud the state government in excess of $3,000.
- Tax fraud in the third degree is a class D felony that can be punished by a maximum seven years in prison. Tax fraud in the third degree is committing any tax fraud act with the intent to evade taxes or defraud the state government in excess of $10,000.
- Tax fraud in the second degree is a class C felony that can be punished by a maximum 15 years in prison. Tax fraud in the second degree is committing any tax fraud act with the intent to evade taxes or defraud the state government in excess of $50,000.
- Tax fraud in the first degree is a class B felony that can be punished by a maximum 25 years in prison. Tax fraud in the first degree is committing any tax fraud act with the intent to evade taxes or defraud the state government in excess of $1,000,000.
No matter how serious or substantial the tax crimes charges against you, these are complicated crimes that require the insight and expertise of NY defense counsel. At Koch Law, a tax crimes lawyer in NY brings several years of experience and knowledge to your case – to ensure you receive a high-quality and skilled defense.
Of course, the state law in New York is specifically applied to tax crimes and criminal tax acts involving payment or non-payment of state taxes. Similar to other white-collar crimes, computer fraud, and intellectual property offenses, there are federal tax crimes statutes that specifically apply to federal offenses. An NY tax crimes lawyer can also handle defense to these federal charges in federal courts.
Defense in NY to Tax Crimes
Our New York City Tax Crimes Lawyer needs to ascertain detailed information about the criminal charges and accusations of tax crimes against you. For this reason, Koch Law begins each new client relationship with a free, confidential consultation.
This important conversation is provided free of charge to every potential or new client and offers you the opportunity to learn even more about our firm, our criminal defense practice, and the possible outcome of your particular legal issue. Schedule a Free Consultation with Koch Law